Alex Cruickshank (Principal Consultant)
Alex is a very experienced public policy and regulatory executive with broad experience in energy markets, having worked in both public and private sectors. Alex has recently held senior management roles in regulation (generation and retail) with AGL associated with market and regulatory changes, metering regulation and market processes. Previous roles have included reform roles in Treasury associated with energy markets, electricity market codes, generation and strategic planning within energy utilities. His key areas of expertise include:
- Market design: Involved in the design and development of the National Electricity Market both as a participant and as a member of the rule making body.
- Rules application: Advocating and advising on the application of the rules to develop products, resolve impasses and to assist companies operate effectively.
- New technology: Working to identify new technology and the market and organisational changes required to exploit it.
- Organisational and business process design: Optimising the operations and efficiencies of businesses.
- Compliance: Developed processes and manuals to ensure compliance in generation and retail businesses.
Alex is the Australian representative on the Markets and Regulatory Study Committee of the International Council for Large Electrical Systems (CIGRE), and convener of the Australian mirror panel. He was also a Board Member (and VP) of Smart Grid Australia and Director (and Chairman) of Gascor.
2016 – present - Oakley Greenwood Pty Ltd – Principal Consultant
2015 – 2016 - Alex Cruickshank Consulting - Principal
2001 – 2015 - AGL – various roles, including Manager NEM development, Manager Wholesale Markets Regulation, Head of Energy Regulation
2001- 2001 - SA Treasury (Micro-economic reform unit)
1998 – 2000 - National Electricity Code Administrator – Principal Consultant Code Development
1997 – 1998 - Optima Energy – Senior Analyst Market Liaison
1989 – 1997 - ETSA – various roles, including Principal Training Officer, Manager Strategic Planning, Manager Organisational Development, Executive Officer National Electricity Market Project.