Matt Currie (Principal Consultant)
Matt has over 25 years of experience within the electricity generation sector. His experience includes both the NEM and the WA, NT, and North Queensland remote energy sectors.
Matt has a deep understanding of the economics of power generation and fuel supply and has a strong commercial focus. This has been demonstrated through his ability to provide off-takers with innovative power supply solutions taking advantage of emerging technologies particularly renewables and Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS).
Matt’s experience includes electricity and related environmental products. He has worked on both the buy and sell side within remote energy IPPs, grid generators, and within the oil and gas and banking sectors focused on generation.
Matt worked as an Energy Trader and in various Senior Business Development roles, focused on the remote energy sector, at Energy Developments and Zenith Pacific.
Matt also brings experience having liaised with the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), CEFA, and ARENA.
During his career Matt has gained deep experience in and knowledge of:
- Wholesale NEM derivative contract hedging and portfolio management
- The operation of the National Energy Market dispatch (spot markets) of energy and FCAS
- Renewable generation within the remote mining and utility sectors
- Remote energy power supply economics
- Remote energy fuel supply economics
- Managing power supply tenders within the remote energy sector to produce the lowest LCOE
- Development and execution of:
- Power purchase Agreements (PPA)
- Gas Supply Agreements (GSA) and
- Gas Transport Agreements (GTA)
- LNG and CNG Virtual Pipelines (Trucked Gas)
- Physical and financial risk management
- The challenges of maintaining energy security with variable renewable generation
In addition to market knowledge and skills Matt is highly proficient at:
- Leadership and team development
- Strategy development and execution
- Strategic risk management
- Customer relations management
Read Matt’s full CV here.
2022 - present - Principal Consultant, Oakley Greenwood Pty Ltd
2021 - 2022 - EPSA, Markets and Growth Manager
2018 - 2021 - Zenith Pacific, Senior Business Development Manager
2014 – 2018 - Aggreko, Senior Business Development Manager
2012 - 2014 - Energy Developments Ltd, Business Development Manager
2010 - 2012 - Banks of America Merrill Lynch, Vice President Oil Trading
2006 - 2010 - BP, Energy Trader
2002 – 2006 - AGL, Trading Analyst